Dandruff is a common skin condition that causes white or grey flakes of skin to appear on the scalp and in the hair. During summers, the problem gets aggravated because the scalp gets even more oily and sweaty due to the heat.
What causes dandruff?
Although the root cause of dandruff will always be the same, other factors can exacerbate the condition making it seem worse. Factors which can worsen dandruff include;
1. Irritated and oily skin: This can be caused by conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatisis is marked by red and greasy skin that is covered in flaky white or yellow scales. The condition can affect your scalp and other areas of the body which are rich in oil glands, such as the creases around your nostrils, the backs of your ears, the groin and armpits.
2. Dry skin: if you suffer from dry skin or have a medical condition such as eczema, it is likely that your scalp will also become dry, flaky and probably also very itchy. Flakes due to dry skin usually appear smaller and less oily. Dry skin can be exacerbated in colder climates and during winter due to dry weather conditions.
3. Not shampooing enough: if you don’t wash your hair on a regular basis then oils and skin cells can build up on the scalp leading to dandruff. Male hormones also known as androgens can also cause greasy or oily skin which can lead to dandruff. However, shampooing too often can dry out the scalp and cause dandruff, it is recommended that you shampoo every other day to maintain a healthy balance.
4. Brushing your hair irregularly can also increase your chances of having dandruff, as a build-up of dead skin occurs on the scalp.
5. Heat and dry air, conversely heat can dry the scalp and make dandruff appear worse.
6. Air pollution can also contribute to dandruff as chemicals which are circulating in the air can affect the skin and cause irritation or allergic reactions on the skin and scalp which can cause dandruff.
7. Alkaline shampoos. Individuals who suffer from dandruff should opt for a neutral or slightly acidic pH shampoo. If you use a product which is unsuitable for you are sensitive to, your scalp may react causing an itchy and flaky scalp. Hair products which contain certain oils can also worsen dandruff as yeast can feed off these lipids and grow in their presence. Styling products can also build-up on the scalp and cause greasiness.
8. An unbalanced diet, however eating foods which are rich in zinc, vitamin B and fats can help you prevent dandruff from developing.
9. Stress can worsen any skin condition and impair your immune system. Although the microbe malassezia is already present on everyone’s scalp, it can thrive once the immune system becomes compromised or impaired leading to the development of dandruff. Stress can cause an itch-scratch cycle where the more you scratch the itchier your scalp becomes.
Therefore it is important to incorporate some relaxation methods into your daily routine to reduce stress levels and improve scalp health.
Home Remedies Tips For Dandruff Cure
1. Coconut Oil & Lemon Massage
Coconut oil nourishes your hair, while lemon juice helps to treat dandruff at home without using harmful chemicals. Given below is the easiest dandruff home remedy:
Step 1: Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix it with equal amounts of lemon juice.
Step 2: Massage your scalp gently with the mixture.
Step 3: Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing if off with shampoo.
2. Fenugreek Pack as a Dandruff Remedy
This home remedy for dandruff uses fenugreek seeds. Follow the instructions below to use fenugreek pack to cure dandruff:
Step 1: Soak some fenugreek or methi seeds in water overnight.
Step 2: Drain the leftover water and mash the softened seeds into a paste.
Step 3: Let the paste sit for about an hour.
Step 4: Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
Treating dandruff at home with curd is a little messy but very effective. Method for using curd as a home remedy for dandruff is given below:
Step 1: Apply some curd to your hair and scalp.
Step 2: Let it sit tight for about an hour.
Step 3: Rinse it off with a shampoo that’s mild.
4. Baking Soda is a great home remedy for dandruff
Dandruff treatment can be carried out at home with baking soda as well. The remedy to use baking soda for dandruff treatment is given below:
Step 1: Wet your hair slightly.
Step 2: Keeping your hair wet, rub a spoonful of baking soda on your scalp.
Step 3: Leave it on for 60-90 seconds prior to washing it off.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another way to cure dandruff at home. Follow the instructions given below to treat dandruff at home easily:
Step 1: Pour a few drops of tea tree oil on your scalp and spread it evenly.
Step 2: Let it soak for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar can be used too, to remedy dandruff at home
Treating dandruff and hair fall at home can be a bit tricky. Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for dandruff and hair fall. Learn how to treat dandruff with apple cider vinegar below:
Step 1: Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water and set it aside.
Step 2: After a regular hair wash, apply the mixture on your wet hair.
Step 3: Massage your scalp well and leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
7. Henna or Mehndi
Cure dandruff with this simple henna remedy. Henna softens your hair, while lemon juice works its wonder in dandruff treatment.
Step 1: Mix Henna or Mehndi with tea liquor, curd and a dash of lemon juice.
Step 2: Set this mixture aside for approximately 8 hours.
Step 3: Apply it on your scalp and hair.
Step 4: Leave it on for about 2 hours and then wash off thoroughly.
8. Neem Juice helps cure dandruff at home
Neem has anti-bacterial properties and is an amazing home remedy for dandruff. The method given below is easy and mess-free.
Step 1: Grind a bunch of neem leaves in a food processor to form a thick paste.
Step 2: Apply this paste on your scalp and let it sit for 10 minutes or so.
Step 3: Wash it off with water.
9. Multani Mitti Hair Pack
Multani mitti helps to restore hair health. This simple dandruff remedy using multani mitti gives you soft, silky hair and dandruff-free hair.
Step 1: Make a thick paste using multani mitti, water and a dash of lemon juice.
Step 2: Apply this mixture on your hair and scalp and leave it on for about 20 minutes
Step 3: Rinse it off with water.
10. Orange Peel Pack works well as a homely dandruff treatment
Orange peel is another dandruff remedy that can be tried at home. Read how to use orange peel pack for dandruff removal below:
Step 1: Throw an orange peel in a food processor and squeeze in some lemon juice too.
Step 2: Grind all the ingredients into a paste.
Step 3: Apply this paste on your scalp and let it sit for 30 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
Remember, all these remedies need to be applied at least thrice a week for best results; continue to do so till you see the difference.